Hey there……Welcome back to Get A Side Hustle!
I am contemplating moving from the city to a small town. Yep, you heard me correctly. Kicking around the idea of giving up this big city life and moving closer to my parents who live in a small town (in the country).
I have been living in the Dallas, TX area for over 20 years. I raised my son in the city and always thought I would stay in this area but sometimes life has a way of making you rethink what you thought you really wanted.
As most of you are aware, I will be losing my six figure job in March of 2017. I am fortunate enough to be leaving with a really nice severance package that will allow me the freedom of not working for almost a year.
This new found sense of freedom has conjured up a world full of new thoughts and ideas.
My son will be leaving for the United States Navy on February 22. My last day at work will be March 15. This is the first time in over 20 years that I have the option to go wherever I would like and without the financial worries. Don’t get me wrong, I will eventually have to find a job….but it won’t have be right away.
I can’t shake the feeling of wanting to move back to a small town closer to my family. The urge to go is getting stronger and stronger as I inch closer to the March 15th date.
Am I worried….. HELL YES!!!
What will I do for work in a small town when I finally decide to get another job? Will I really like living in a small town again or is it just a nostalgic thought? Is the pace of a slower life going to be something I enjoy? These are just a few of the questions swimming around in my head.
I have to make my decision by January 18 in order to get the ball rolling for my move to the country. I am excited and scared shitless at the same time.
Personally I feel this nagging pull to go back there and take some time off. Rest my mind, my body and my soul. Enjoy the slower pace lifestyle for awhile and spend some quality time with my family.
I have spent the last 20 years building an executive career in the city and it seems like all of the doors are opening for me to finally take a much needed break.
Here are some of the pros and cons I came up with about moving from the city to a small town.
- The cost of living is significantly cheaper in a small town.
- A slower pace life with more time to focus on the things that I enjoy.
- I will be closer to my family (and we all get along great).
- I can get a 4 bedroom custom home for less than what I am paying for a one bedroom apartment. ***This one is a BIG PLUS!!!**
- My 3 four legged partners in crime will have a huge fenced in backyard!
- No more CRAZY city traffic!
- No more commuting to work 1 hour each way. This means I get 2 hours of my life back each day! Yes! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
- More farm to table food options when your living that country life. My parents have fresh beef from their cattle that they process as well as fresh veggies from their garden.
- No one living above me, beside me, behind me…..I will be in a super cute custom home with all of the bells and whistles. Who knew this excited in a small town?!
- Jobs are harder to find.
- Jobs pay less in a small town and the benefits are usually not that great.
- I will have to leave my current vet behind (and the girls and I LOVE HER!)
- I will not have access to all of the shopping/restaurants/and city things without having to drive an hour and a half (one way).
- Small town gossip. This one is a real pain in my ass! One thing I love about the city is that you don’t know everyone. Hell, I don’t even know 95% of the people who live in my massive apartment community.
I wish there was a phone number I could call, a blog I could read or a person I could visit that would tell me what to do. When you are the only person making all of the decisions, it can be scary!
But it can also be fantastic. I only have to worry about my choices impacting me (my child is a grown up now and I am not married). It is basically just me and my 3 purse sized puppy dogs….. and they will still love me no matter what choice I make. Haha!!
What will I decide to do?
Don’t worry……the suspense is killing me too!
Come back next week for another post about my latest thoughts on moving from the city to a small town.
Please feel free to share any comments or experiences you may have had with this topic. I look forward to your feedback!
Until next time my friends, Christie