This post may contain affiliate marketing links and references. There is not extra cost to you and they allow me to continue writing content for my readers, so Thank You for your support!
Welcome back to Get A Side Hustle!
I have now made it a whopping 60 days with my blog and I haven’t given up yet! I am still posting with the same intensity that I did during my first month (Ok….maybe a little less because I am packing and getting ready to move at the end of February).
Just a quick recap….. the experiment will be a 12 month experiment and I will write a monthly post about “lessons learned”. I can’t wait to see where I am 12 months from now! 🙂
The Blog Experiment – Lessons learned – Month 2
My second month of blogging has been great. I have been working on the re-design of my blog (in my mind). I have been researching and reading a ton of blogging information by 2 of my favorite bloggers. Rosemarie Groner & Ruth Soukup.
I am also excited to announce that I started the Elite Blog Academy at the end of February and I can’t wait to see where that takes me. I am not going to lie….the class was SUPER expensive ($797.00 to be exact) and it made me a little nervous to spend that kind of money on the course as a newbie. However, almost every blogger (making significant income) credits a lot of their success to this course. Ultimately, I decided it was probably going to be worth the investment.
I will be sure to post updates in a new blog category about how the course is going. I will share how and why it has helped (or hindered – which I highly doubt) my blog. The course sounds amazing but I will tell you now….It is a lot of work. Please do NOT invest in the course if you are not willing to put in the time and the effort to complete the course.
You will also need to apply what you have learned from the course, otherwise……it will be a waste of your hard earned money and time (which can be hard to come by)!
But if you are ready for a new challenge, then go for it! Don’t let fear or a lack of confidence keep you from doing great things for yourself and others. It takes a little faith and a lot of effort but you can do it!
In this post, I will be covering the answers to the following questions below.
- Update on my blog platform.
- Update on my hosting service.
- Update on my affiliate programs.
- My site traffic for the second month.
- Upcoming improvements.
Alright….well Let’s get started!
My Blog Platform
- WordPress.org Update
- I am still very happy with my WordPress.org choice. I am learning more as I continue to maneuver my way around the system. I love the fact that it lets me know when I need to update one of my plugins. All I have to do is go to plugins and it will tell me which one needs to be updated. Next step….click update. It takes a few seconds and then it tells you when the update is complete. It is so simple.
My Hosting Service
- I have been absolutely thrilled with my BlueHost service. If you are looking for a great hosting service with excellent customer service, then BlueHost is the right choice. You can get started with them for less than $4.00 per month (basic service). What are you waiting for? It is super easy!
My Affiliate Programs
- I have 2 major affiliate programs at this time. As I mentioned in my previous update, I am very selective about the products that I choose to promote. I would find it very difficult to tell others how much I like a product if I have never used it.
- I currently work with BlueHost and Shopify.
- BlueHost is the hosting service that I use and I love them.
- Shopify is the ecommerce site that I use to run my online store Treasure Island Shop. Shopify makes it so easy to setup a custom online shop or store. They even offer a free trial period for you to try them out. They are super cheap too. $29.00 for the basic package and it has more than everything you need to get your store up and running. It is extremely user friendly. I am not very technical and I was able to build a basic store in 15 days. If you are looking to create an online presence for your business, then check out Shopify. Oh, I almost forgot….Their customer service ROCKS!!! They will help you through everything and answer all of your questions. Shopify …….It’s free to get started.
My Site Traffic – February 2017
- What is SEO – Simply put, it is the ability for the search engines (ie: google, bing, etc.) to “crawl” your site and add it to the search options.
- My second month has picked up and I am thrilled! Again, these numbers may seem small to seasoned bloggers but I am perfectly happy with my results (which is all that matters). I had a total of 154 views my second month. It increased a smidge from my January totals and I am happy to see it climbing (even if it is slowly). Pageviews matter…. but don’t let it be your primary focus and please do not make the mistake of comparing yourself to other bloggers who are further along. That is a recipe for being discouraged and potentially quitting. Blogging is hard! Stay steady and you CAN win the race.
- I am still working on my site redesign. I have reached out to the designer so that we can start the process. I am thinking that I will be ready to reveal my new site design sometime in May (or sooner if possible – She is pretty backed up).
- Another exciting announcement is that I am taking the Elite Blog Academy course (started at the end of February) so I will be providing feedback on the course as well. I can’t wait to share this with you! I hear it is action packed with AWESOME!!!
I hope that you have found my feedback useful. Tune in next month for the 3rd update in my 12 month blog experiment as well as updates about the re-design of my site and the Elite Blog Academy.
Until next time my friends, Christie